|The SPAD XVI was produced in 1917.
It was intended to be an improved version
of the SPAD XI and was powered by a
240 hp Lorraine 8Bb engine. While aircraft
performance was improved the design
flaws of the SPAD XI remained. Furthermore,
the machine was still slower than the
Breguet 14A2 and the Salmson 2A2.
The SPAD XVI was a 2-bay biplane
with ailerons on the top wings only.
Armament consisted of a machine gun
mounted just to the left of the mid-line
of the fuselage for the pilot and
a flexible gun for the Observer. The
fuel tank held 140 litres and was
located under the seat of the pilot.
An auxiliary fuel tank, with a capacity
of 25 litres was located in the top